Small Claims Court Jurisdiction?

You can sue someone in Small Claims Court (for up to $25,000 not including interest or court-related cost, such as filing fees):

  • For debts or property (other than land) including things like lost wages or income
  • For damages due to personal injury
  • For the return of something
  • For payment of an outstanding debt pursuant to a Small Claims Court order
  • To get a court order to complete a contract for goods or services.

There are certain things you cannot sue in Small Claims Court for:

  • Anything over $25,000
  • Defamation (libel or slander)
  • Malicious prosecution
  • Disputes involving the title to land
  • Landlord:tenant disputes or matters dealing with possession or occupation of a residence
  • Matters related to the granting of an injunction.
  • 250-487-7030
  • 346 Ellis Street, Penticton, British Columbia V2A 4L7

A Covid-19 Update

From Hillside Law Inc.

We remain open for business as normal, but our office space is temporarily closed to the public. To contact us, please call 250-487-7030.